The EnP Board Review Series – Part 3: Your application

This is the third part of my EnP board review series. This is where I’m going to help you get through your application.

Now that you’ve visualised the exam days and you know what’s coming, let’s have a walk through of your board application process and the documents needed.

Eligibility check

Before going through your application process, you have to know whether you’re eligible or not to take the exam. RA 10587, Section 18 discusses this, but for  convenience, I’m putting the content right here: 

SEC. 18. Qualifications for Taking the Examination. – Any person applying to take the licensure examination as herein provided shall establish to the satisfaction of the Board that he/she has the following qualifications:

(a) A citizen of the Philippines or a foreign citizen whose country or State has a policy on reciprocity in the practice of the profession;

(b) A holder of any of the following degrees from schools, colleges or universities duly recognized and accredited by the CHED:

1. A graduate in environmental planning, urban/city and regional planning, or town and country planning or its equivalent;

2. A Post-Graduate Diploma in Environmental Planning, city and regional planning or its equivalent, and with at least one (1) year of on-the-job training as required herein;

3. A Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Planning, city planning or urban and regional planning, or town and country planning, or its equivalent, and with two (2) years of on-the-job training as required herein;

4. A masters or doctorate degree in either architecture, engineering, ecology, economics, geography, geology, public administration, business administration, sociology, social science, law, environmental science, environmental management, development management, natural resources planning and development, and related disciplines acceptable to the Board, and with three (3) years of on-the-job training as required herein: Provided, That a person falling under this paragraph shall be allowed to take the licensure examination only within the next five (5) years from the effectivity of this Act;

5. A bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, economics, public administration, law, social work and community development or sociology and other related disciplines acceptable to the Board and with five (5) years of on-the-job training as required herein: Provided, That a person falling under this paragraph shall be allowed to take the licensure examination only within the next five (5) years from the effectivity of this Act; and

6. Incumbent holders of planning positions in the national, regional or local government offices or agencies including government-owned and -controlled corporations and have been engaged in development planning functions acceptable to the Board: Provided, That they are holders of professional civil service eligibility and they have undergone at least eighty (80) hours of in-service training or distance learning in developmental planning from a government agency, school or institution recognized by proper authorities: Provided, further, That a person falling under this paragraph may be allowed to take the licensure examination only within the next five (5) years after the effectivity of this Act.

(c) Of good moral character; and

(d) Not convicted of an offense involving moral turpitude by a court of competent jurisdiction.

The on-the-job training required in this section shall be undertaken under the supervision of a registered and licensed environmental planner or the applicant’s immediate supervisor in an agency or organization acceptable to the Board, which is engaged or involved in environmental planning functions or programs.

It’s best to review the whole law so you know the scope and details of the EnP profession. You’re going to go through this during the review anyway.

Filing period

Since the EnP Licensure Exam is in June, the filing period is usually around April to May, and has a duration of about a month. Double check with PRC from time to time for announcements of the filing period.

Application Form

There are two ways to file your application in PRC: manually or online. Manually, you have to secure the printed application form from PRC or download the e-copy. This is what it looks like:

You can also file your application online at the official PRC application page. This is what the system looks like:

If you choose to use the online application, you will still have to fill out a few more details when your form is printed in PRC, because you’ll still have to sign, attach your photo and stamp, and they’ll have to make sure you’ve paid your fees. But online gives your the convenience and makes your application process faster.

Submission of applications should be made within the filing period, because otherwise, PRC might not accept the documents. In the online system, it is impossible to fill up the form if you’re applying outside the filing period. The date and place of examination will not be available, as seen in the image above.

Checklist of requirements

There are quite a lot of documents needed for your application. PRC will be providing the official list, but again, here it is anyway, so you can prepare earlier:

  • NSO birth certificate on security paper
  • NSO marriage certificate on security paper (for married women)
  • Transcript of Records (TOR) with a scanned passport-sized ID and the remarks “For board examination purposes.” Since all of my records are in UP Diliman, I got my TOR from the Office of the University Registrar for PhP300.00. The processing time is ten working days or two weeks.
  • NBI Clearance
  • Four pieces of coloured passport ID photos with your full name on the photo tag. Since this is the photo that will be printed on your PRC ID when you pass, make sure you’re okay with how you look like in the photos that you will use.
  • Community tax certificate (CTC) or cedula. This can be sourced from your barangay or city / municipal hall.
  • Any valid ID
  • Three certificates of experience. In this certificate, you will outline the details and timeframe of all your experiences related to environmental planning. This will be signed off by your immediate supervisor, your professor, or other environmental planners you’ve worked with. Upon accomplishment, have your certificates notarised. This is what it looks like:
Certificate of Experience

Certificate of Experience

  • Certificate of employment. You can get this from your office’s human resource department.
  • Certification of good moral character. You can get this from your employer, your school, your barangay, or any organization you’re currently affiliated with, and is willing to certify your good character.

Make sure you have both the original and photocopies of each required document. Keep them in an envelope to be organised.

Application process

Once you’ve accomplished all the forms and compiled all the application requirements, it’s time to file your application. Try to file in the early or middle part of your filing period because if ever there are complications or clarifications in your application, there will still be time to address these.

Try to go as early as possible to PRC when you file. This is because you’ll be with so many other applicants for all the other board exams. In my experience, 5:30 AM was too early, but come 6AM, there was already a long line. Buy your stamps and official envelopes inside PRC, from the official source. Stamps are at PhP25.00 each. Afterwards, proceed to the third floor for the application process.

There are signs on all the windows indicating the steps throughout the application procedure. Step 1 is where you drop one photo into a box. Step 2 is waiting for the staff to call your name, verifying your exam’s filing period, and initially checking your documents. This is where the famous EnP Jun Torres comes in for Step 3. He’s probably the only one with the know-how and knowledge of the EnP board exam requirements. When I met him, EnP Jun was actually very nice and loved to talk, but sometimes he’s got too much work on his table, so just be very courteous and friendly. He’ll be assisting you throughout the application process. Give him your application documents (except the envelope, which you have to bring during exam day), and he’ll advise what you need to do–attach the stamps, stick the photos, and pay your application fee at the cashier. Step 4 is payment, and the fee is PhP900.00. Once you’re paid, get your receipt and you’ll be given a slip with a number, so you can call PRC to check if the Board has already approved of your application, and if you’ll be allowed to take the exam. The announcement is about a week’s time.

There are cases wherein the board disapproves applications, and I was one of the five unlucky ones in our batch to get this feedback. My disapproval was due to my undergraduate course being BS Tourism, which is not included in the related courses. I had to submit a letter appealing for reconsideration to the Board and wait one more week for them to evaluate my documents, and after that, I was allowed to take the exam.

Once you get your notification that you’ve been approved, you can go back to PRC and retrieve your exam permit. This is a one-sheet permit where your examinee number is, and where your schedule for the exam will be. Keep your permit, do not lose it. You will also be given instructions, a checklist of things to bring, and other reminders. Yup, these are what I wrote in Part 2.

Filing your application gives you the finality of your decision to take the exam. It’s as if someone’s telling you, “There’s no turning back.” But hey, you made a brave decision.

Keep moving forward. It’s review time.